Youth Mental Health First Aid
| May 10, 2022
Youth mental health first aid: the help offered to a young person experiencing a mental health challenge, mental disorder, or mental health crisis. First aid is given until appropriate help is received or the crisis resolves.
As caring adults, we all have the power to support young people's mental health and well-being. Part of this support is recognizing when a young person might need additional, professional help to navigate a mental health challenge or crisis. The Youth Mental Health First Aid Training by Mental Health First Aid encourages adults to follow the ALGEE action plan to assess how best to help a young person:
- A -- APPROACH and assess for risk of suicide or harm and assist
- L -- LISTEN nonjudgmentally
- G -- GIVE reassurance and information
- E -- ENCOURAGE appropriate professional help, or
- E -- ENCOURAGE self-help and other support strategies
Did you know TMP is a Youth Mental Health First Aid training facilitator? Click here for more info and to request a training for your group of 10 or more!
Get Everyday Mentoring Tips by Email